- 1 dressed pheasant, 2 1/2 lbs
- 1/2 lb day-old rye bread crumbs with or without caraway
- 1/4 cup finely cut celery Giblets, finely cut or ground
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp salt Generous dash of pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tbsp finely cut chives
- 4 slices salt pork, about 1/4 lb
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- Remove pin feathers and singe pheasant according to directions,
- Rinse well inside and out with warm water.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Pull or tear bread into small crumbs (there should be 1 qt of crumbs packed loosely).
- Sauté celery and giblets in butter for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat add water, cool and pour over crumbs;
- add seasoning, egg and chives
- Toss lightly to mix.
- Pack into salted cavity of pheasant.
- Lay pork slices over breast and tops of legs and place, breast up, on rod in roaster.
- Cover and bake in a moderately slow oven (325 F) for about 2 hrs.
- Then remove cover and roast 1/2 hr longer to brown pheasant.
- Turn off heat, place pheasant in the cover of roaster, cover and set back into oven to keep hot.
- Skim off all but 2 tbsp of fat.
- Prepare milk gravy, from drippings, and the 1 tbsp of flour and milk. 4 servings