- 2 pounds of Ostrich
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups celery, cut into 1-inch diagonals
- 6 to 8 peeled small boiling onions
- 3/4 to 1 cup beef stock
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly hand picked shamrocks (for garnish)
- Remove all connective tissue and/or fat from your selected meat and cut
into 1 inch cubes.
- In a non-aluminum bowl, combine the meat, juniper berries, peppercorns and
garlic. Add 1 cup of the red wine. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator
for 2 to 3 hours, or overnight.
- Drain off the marinade and discard. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet
over high heat and brown the venison. Add the celery and onions. Add the
remaining 1/2 cup red wine and 3/4 cup beef stock. Cover and bake in a
preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes, or until tender, adding the remaining
beef stock during baking if necessary.
- Remove from the oven. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Garnish
serving plate with shamrocks and have a happy St. Patrick’s day!