- 2 x Coots skinned, cut into serving size pieces
- 1/2 cup Flour seasoned with 1/2 tsp Salt and 1 tsp Paprika
- 3 tbl Salt-pork drippings
- 1 tbl Chopped onion Water as needed
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Duck giblets simmered in 1/2 cup Seasoned duck or chicken stock until done, drained
- 1 1/2 tbl Sour cream
Dredge bird pieces with seasoned flour and brown in salt-pork drippings in a Dutch oven. Brown onion in drippings and remove. Put rack into Dutch oven, add water only to top of the rack; place duck pieces on rack and cover. Bake at 350 degrees until tender, young birds 35 to 40 minutes, older birds 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Turn once and add more water if needed. Remove birds and keep them warm. To the pan, add browned onion, 2 tablespoons seasoned flour, the giblet stock, strained and heated, and the milk; stir until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mince the giblets, and add to sauce with sour cream. Heat without letting sauce boil after adding sour cream.